Wednesday 22 October 2014

Amsterdam Half Marathon 2014

So, a post to celebrate now it's over!

The Half didn't go as well as I'd have liked, and I didn't hit the time I wanted, but Nick's goal for me of just finishing it wasn't a problem so I shouldn't really be too annoyed about it. After all, I know plenty of people who've completed half marathons in considerably slower times, to the point it's questionable if they can be considered a run!

We picked up our race numbers and my technical t-shirt from the race village on the Saturday, which was smooth, easy and efficient. The expo was pretty interesting, too, and we bought Nick a long sleeved running top branded with the Amsterdam logo, which was of a fairly reasonable price and a nice little memento, too.

The Sunday itself was a lovely temperature, with a little drizzle before it all started, although humidity levels were at 90%, which wasn't inconsiderable. Our wave set off, a little late, and I found the first 15 minutes or so was spent passing runners who were considerably slower than us; even one or two who were walking a mile into it. I'm far from a militant runner by any means but that really does smack of a complete lack of preparation! The course was generally very flat, if a little boring, with lots of water stations en route. There were a fair few bands around, playing a variety of music to encourage the runners from Punk to traditional brass and everything in between. We completed the first 5k in a decent time, and the second, by which point I was starting to struggle: it was one of those runs where you just can't find a pace, whether due to constantly overtaking and weaving round others or just 'because' I don't know. Even the third 5k , reaching 15km, was done at a pretty good speed, keeping up a decent pace. While my legs were doing ok, the rest of me was not happy and I think Nick found this quite frustrating too. By about 19k, I was really struggling and, while spectators cheering us on was a help, it was incredibly difficult to keep running. Frustrating, too, as I've run 10 miles easily many a time and even 12 miles wasn't so very bad.

About 500m before the finish line, a stitch unlike anything I've ever experienced hit: a bit like being stabbed between the ribs every time you breathe. Not being particularly soft or sensitive usually, it was enough to bring me to tears and I limped onwards, getting somewhat castigated by the boyfriend for not keeping the pace up as I did so! The last part of the race was as undignified and unpleasant as any run I have ever experienced before, and I can't say I enjoyed the actual run itself either, but I'm reliably informed that this was due to it all being a very new experience, combined with it just being 'one of those days' - 15,000 runners on the field as opposed to normally just the two of us does make things very different!

We eventually finished in a time of 2:26; I measured the course out using my Nike+ app at 13.5 miles and the app recorded my 13.1 mile time at 2:22; a little better but still a couple of minutes over what I'd wanted. However, with it being my first half, finishing is a big deal and the next one will involve pushing for a better time and a smoother run. Until then, we've lots of 5ks and 10ks in the pipeline to tide us over the Winter.

I'd recommend the Amsterdam half for the flatness, the great support from both the public and in terms of portaloos, water etc (although the portaloo I used before the start was literally the most disgusting thing I've ever seen; clean inside but more of a 'pit' at the bottom and not a chemical toilet), and lovely marshals by the finishing line. Clearly I looked pretty wiped out as, rather than having to take a plastic 'blanket', one of them came and put it round my shoulders. Frankly, with the rib pain at that point, walking to her to collect one wasn't going to happen! So, all in all, a lovely weekend trip but a less than ideal run!

No comments:

Post a Comment